Effective May 25, 2018
Web X.0 Media builds a range of media assets that help millions of people learn, interact, explore, improve and enjoy the world.
How We Operate
Your privacy is critically important to us. At Web X.0 Media we have a few fundamental principles:
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it or we use it to support your requests.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone except to comply with the law, protect our rights, develop our products and services, or fulfill your requests for additional information from partners and trusted third-parties.
- We clearly communicate to you how information you provide is shared with other members of communities you are requesting to join.
- We don’t store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
- In our service, we aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what’s visible to the public, seen by search engines, kept private and permanently deleted.
What Personal Data We Collect And Why We Collect It
- If you create an account on one of our websites, you will be prompted to provide your Name and Email Address, as well as choose a Username.
- When choosing a Username, we strongly advise you not use or include your real name. Usernames cannot be changed and are available on a first-come basis.
- Your Name, Username and Email Address are stored in the website’s database. Your Email Address is used to send you an email with a link to set your password or to send you an email with a link to reset your password in the event you forget your password.
- Once an account is created, you must contact us to have it deleted (see “to be forgotten” below).
- Accounts have a numeric User ID assigned to them when they are created. The User ID cannot be changed.
- An anonymized string created from your email address (also called a hash) is provided to the Gravatar service to see if a Profile picture of you is available for display.
- You may optionally complete your Profile by providing your Biographical Information. These additional details are also saved in the website’s database. You may edit these details, your Name, and your Email Address, in your Profile at any time.
- Your Username, First Name, Last Name and Email Address are accessible by administrators of the website.
- If you attempt to log in to our website, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies at all. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- If you have an account and you log in to a website, we will set up several cookies to save your login information and some of your personal preferences. The logged-in cookies last for two days, and the personal preference cookies last for a year.
- If you select “Remember Me” these cookies will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed. It is important that you log out if you are using a public computer.
- For users that register on one of our websites, we also store the data they provide in their profile indefinitely. All registered users can see, change or delete most of that data at any time except their login name/nickname.
Publishing Content (Comments, Blogs, Articles, Resources, Jobs, Resumes, Forums)
- Your Profile Picture, Display Name and Biographical Information (if provided) may be visible to visitors of website (e.g. if you leave a comment, forum post, make your resume public, or contribute an article/blog).
- If you upload media (e.g. images) to the website (in forums, articles or comments), you should avoid uploading images with EXIF GPS location data included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data included in images on the website.
- If you edit or publish an article/blog, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
- When visitors leave comments on one of our websites we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- Comments may require manual approval by one of our website moderators.
- If you leave a comment on a website you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies so we can recognise you as a commenter. These cookies will persist for one year.
- Automated spam detection is provided by Automattic/Akismet.
- Published content and comments are stored indefinitely unless deletion/removal is requested by the original author.
Email and Contact Forms
- We use Google/G Suite and Groove to process all internal email and communication with our customers.
- Customers that email us, or use any of the contact forms on our websites, will have their email address, IP address, and any data provided in the contact form or body of the email stored.
- We keep all email communication indefinitely to help us provide support and improve our services. Individuals can request copies of any previous correspondence with us at any time.
Embedded Content From Other Websites
We use Google Analytics for tracking visitors and aggregating information about the traffic to our websites. You can learn more about how to opt-out of tracking in Google Analytics.
- We use email marketing to communicate with customers and potential customers from time to time. All email lists and campaigns are “opt-in” — meaning we will not send you these sorts of emails unless you indicated that you wish to receive them during signup or other interactions on our website.
- All marketing emails sent by us will include an unsubscribe link in the footer of the email. Emails sent to you may also include standard tracking, including open and click activities.
- We use two different services for email marketing: MailChimp and EmailOctopus.
- We may send you transactional emails, such as password reset requests or payment notifications/receipts even if you have not opted-in to email marketing lists.
- We use SendGrid for transactional emails.
- For payment transactions, we use PayPal and Stripe.
- For payment transactions and invoice records, we use QuickBooks.
- To comply with accounting and legal requirements, we keep data on financial transactions in the systems above for up to 10 years.
- Our website hosting is managed by our team on the Linode platform located in different regions around the world. This includes website hosting, backups, web database, file storage and log files.
- Our products and hosting services may use the CloudFlare Content Delivery Network (CDN). CloudFlare may store web log information of website visitors, including IPs, UA, referrer, Location and ISP info of website visitors for 7 days. Files and images served by the CDN may be stored and served from countries other than your own.
Who We Share Your Data With
We use third-party services across our websites. The extent to which your data is shared with these providers depends on your use of our services.
Each third-party provider has been vetted to ensure that privacy policies and practices meet or exceed the same level of compliance that we follow. Where appropriate and available, we hold additional signed Data Privacy Agreements with these companies as an additional layer of accountability in order to help ensure your data is safe and secure.
We disclose potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to our employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf or to provide services, and (ii) that have agreed, in writing, not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using our websites and services, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
When users request additional information about products or services for which we have a partner or trusted third-party, we will provide personally-identifying information for your request to be fulfilled.
Links to the privacy policies of third-party services are listed below:
- SlideShare (LinkedIn)
- YouTube (Google)
We may be required to disclose an individual’s personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns.
What Rights You Have Over Your Data
If you are a registered user or have left comments on our website you can request to see or download the data we have about you.
Typically for visitors that have left comments, the data will be their email address, any IP addresses assigned to them at the time of leaving the comments and the user agent strings of the browsers they used. The rest of the data is public as published by the visitors.
For registered users or paying customers, this may also include information related to: profile, resume, store, membership payment, and support ticket histories.
You can also request “to be forgotten” and we will erase any personally identifiable data we have about you. This excludes data we need for administrative or security purposes or if we are required by law to retain some of the data.
An individual who seeks access or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data should direct his/her query to [email protected]. We will respond within a reasonable timeframe, not to exceed one week.
How We Protect Your Data
The security and reliability of our service is our number one priority. We train our staff and invest in our infrastructure to ensure that best practices are followed in everything that we do.
We use the leading content management system in the world, WordPress, on all our websites. See wordpress.org/about/security for details on the security of the WordPress core itself.
- Prevention is best when it comes to security, and as a first step, we follow all WordPress Code Standards in the plugins that we build and use.
- Every Web X.0 Media employee and contractor goes through background checks and an onboarding process that includes a trial period where access to customer data is provided only when working directly under the supervision of another staff member.
- All staff only have access to systems that are directly required to complete the functions of their job.
- All staff undergo initial training to ensure proper understanding of all security-related processes. Staff review and agree, in writing, to all policies and procedures annually.
- We only use third-party services that are vetted and adhere to the highest levels of privacy and security practices.
What Data Breach Procedures We Have In Place
Should any event occur where customer data has been lost, stolen or compromised, our policy is to alert our customers via email no later than 48 hours of our team becoming aware of the event. We will also report such incident to any required data protection authority. We will work to diligently to ensure that any such event doesn’t occur.
Our Services are not directed to persons under 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without such parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our files.